Our seasonal recipe for March!
Why not use lovely seasonal leeks, broccoli and watercress to make this indulgent quiche.
|Cooking time:||40 minutes|
- 160g shortcrust pastry (we used a box of ready rolled)
- 20g butter
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 100g broccoli cut into small florets
- 50g watercress
- 2 free-range eggs
- 100ml milk
- 80ml double cream
- 50g mature cheddar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Line a 20cm/8in tart tin (3.5cm/1¼in deep) with the pastry, then place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Line the pastry with baking parchment and fill with baking beans. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the pastry is dry.
- Remove the baking parchment and beans and return the pastry case to the oven for a further 3-5 minutes, or until the pastry is a pale golden-brown and just cooked.
- Turn the oven down to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Heat a frying pan until hot, add the butter and saute the leeks, before adding the broccoli and watercress, put a lid on the pan to steam cook the vegetables. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Scatter the cooked vegetables over the bottom of the pastry case.
- Place the eggs and milk in a bowl, season with salt and black pepper and whisk well. Add half the cheese and whisk once more.
- Pour over the egg and milk mixture on top of the vegetables in the pastry case, then scatter the remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until golden-brown, bubbling and just set.
- Set aside to cool slightly before serving with a side of fresh watercress!