Make your own Hot X Buns
These delicious Hot Cross Buns are the perfect thing to bake this Easter.
|Cooking time:||20 minutes|
- 250g strong flour
- 155ml warm milk / Dairy-free alternative
- 25g unsalted butter, melted/ Vitalite, softened
- 15g caster sugar
- 1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 80g sultanas
- 40g plain flour, mixed to a thick paste with 30ml warm water
- 1 tbsp golden syrup, warmed
- Sift together flour, sugar, salt yeast and spice mix, then pour in the milk and melted butter/ softened vitalite and mix to combine.
- Turn dough out onto your surface and knead into soft, smooth dough.
- Shape into a round and place back into bowl, lightly floured. Leave for around an hour in warm place until doubled in size.
- Turn the dough out and flatten on your surface, sprinkle with the sultanas and knead to evenly distribute and to knock back the dough.
- Split the dough into 6 equal size pieces. Shape into rounds and place on a baking tray, evenly spaced out, with a cm gap between them. Leave to prove for around 30 minutes until almost doubled in size.
- Pre heat the oven to 210C/ Fan 190C, adjust shelf to top 1/3.
- Spoon the flour paste into a piping bag, snip a ¼ cm hole and pipe continuous crosses over the buns.
- Bake in the oven on the middle shelf for around 18 minutes, until golden brown.
- While still warm, brush with the warmed golden syrup.