Easter Chocolate & Almond Cake
This delicious Easter chocolate cake is perfect if you’re seeing friends and family in the garden this Easter!
|Cooking time:||20 minutes|
125g dark chocolate
150g caster sugar
150g ground almond
For the filling:
100ml double cream
1tbsp icing sugar
2tsp cocoa powder
100g milk chocolate
Chocolate mini eggs
- To make the cake, preheat oven to 180c. Prepare 2 18cm cake tins, by oiling sides and lining base with disk of baking paper.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan of simmering water. Place the eggs and sugar in a bowl and whisk until light and fluffy. Allow the chocolate to cool slightly and then carefully fold into the egg and sugar. Gently stir in the almonds.
- Divide the mixture between the 2 tins and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cake is firm in the centre (check by pushing in a skewer to see if this comes out clean)
- Allow the cakes to cool in the tins for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. Make the filling by whipping the cream with the cocoa and icing sugar until forms light peaks. Spread half this on one of the cakes and then sandwich them together, top with the other half.
- To decorate the cake, top with chocolate eggs. Optional: to make the nest, line a small bowl with oiled clingfilm. Cook the noodles until soft and then coat in the melted chocolate, push into the bowl to shape. Leave to set, then remove the bowl and place nest on top of the cake and fill with the chocolate eggs.