Coffee and cardamom crème brûlée
This delicious crème brûlée is infused with coffee and cardamom to give a rich flavour, perfect to treat a loved one with…why not make it this weekend!
|Cooking time:||20 minutes|
150ml double cream
2 free range egg yolks
1tbsp Caster sugar
6-8 whole coffee beans or 1/2 tsp instant coffee granules
1 cardamom pods, 1 ground, 1 popped
Demerara sugar to caramelise
- Preheat oven to 150c/ fan 130, adjust shelf to lower 1/3 of oven.
- Add the cream, coffee beans/ instant coffee, cardamom pod and ground cardamom seeds to a milk pan.
- Bring to scalding point on a low to medium heat. Remove and leave the coffee and cardamom to infuse and cool.
- Beat the egg yolk and sugar together in a bowl.
- Gradually pour the cream through a sieve into the bowl, stirring until combined.
- Place two ramekins in a oven proof dish and divide the custard between them.
- Pour boiling water 1/2-2/3 of the sides of the ramekins and cook for around 30 minutes or until a skin has formed and there is a slight wobble.
- Remove, leave to cool and then chill to set further. This can be refrigerated for up to two days.
- For the topping sprinkle a thin layer of the Demerera sugar on top and either under a very hot grill or using a blow torch, caramelise the sugar.
- Leave to cool for 15-20 minutes before tucking in! Enjoy!