Chicken Thighs Braised with Pancetta, Tomato and Chickpeas.
This delicious recipe is adapted from our Chicken-4-Ways cookery class, and is a delicious easy recipe. Serve with white Basmati Rice, boiled potatoes or a thick slice of sourdough bread.
Serves 2 hungry adults or a family of 4 with young children
|Cooking time:||45 minutes|
- 1 tbsp of veg oil
- 4 chicken thighs
- 80g smoked pancetta or bacon lardons
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 60ml white wine
- 1 x 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tinned chickpeas
- Salt & Pepper
- Ahead of time, get the chicken out of the fridge, remove excess skin and fat, salt the chicken and leave at room temperature for about an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C/375F/Gas 5
- Heat the oil in a wide based pan on a medium heat, brown off the chicken for a few minutes and then remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the pancetta to the pan and fry till crispy, stirring frequently. Add the onion and lower the heat, soften for 5 minutes and add the chopped garlic. Keep stirring for about 2 minutes, add the rosemary sprigs and smoked paprika; keep stirring for a further minute.
- Bring the heat up back to medium, add the white wine to deglaze the pan and let bubble away. When most of it has reduced, add the chickpeas and the chopped tomatoes, half fill the tomato tin with water swirling the remains and add to the pan. Season but not too much as it will reduce.
- Bring back to the boil and transfer to an oven proof casserole dish fitted with a lid. Cook in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until the chicken’s juices run clear when pierced with a skewer. Taste and season to your taste.